Saturday, June 12, 2010

entertaining

It's my last full day here in Athens for the quarter. I'm sitting on a green, fur-covered futon with a dog, a beautiful husky-wolf mix named Herra, resting against my leg. There's coffee and cereal on the table, ash trays and duct tape, pocket knives and a Wii controller.

Now the dog has moved. She's sniffing around, probably because she thinks she can get in trouble now that Jon's gone. Little does she know that I'm willing to and have permission to discipline her as harshly as he would... Now, how did I get here?

I was living on the other side of campus in September. I was an entirely different person, in some ways. I guess more notably I'm still Wendy... Either way. I met Jon about a month ago outside of the Donkey (best. coffee shop. ever.) and now spend most of my time off campus, hanging out with him and/or his friends (who are fast becoming friends of my own) and it's sort of ridiculous that I'm leaving tomorrow with plans to come back here, not three months from now when summer is over, but as soon as I get back from my vacation out west. Plans to go to New York and San Fransisco. Plans to possibly move back here a little early to pick up a job and earn some more summer moneyz.

For now, though, I'm contemplating letting go of all of that. Contemplating letting go will make coming back something fun, but not obligatory. For now I'm super excited to be traveling west. Going to the Grand Canyon, to New Mexico, to Salt Lake to see my family, to Las Vegas and Death Valley, looping back around through Chicago. I'm not sure if I've ever taken this kind of month-long traveling vacation-style trip. I'm excited and nervous and dreading it and leaping up and down with giddiness all at once. It's entertaining.

Life is that, indeed.

1 comment: