Thursday, March 18, 2010

writing from memory

Sonnet XXIX by Shakespeare

When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I alone beweep my outcast state
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries
And look upon myself and curse my fate
Wishing myself like to one more rich in hope
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed
Desiring this man's art, or that man's scope
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising
Haply I think on thee, - and then my state
Like to a lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at Heaven's gate.
For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

I've fallen in love with this sonnet, so I memorized it. I've typed this from memory, so the punctuation/a few minor words may be incorrect. I like the bard's poetry more than his plays. In the process of trying to memorize this, I recited it out loud, and in reciting it I started to feel like these were MY words and it forced the emotion out of me. Do it. Read it out loud a few times, play around with cadence and tie it all together and if after a few recitals you don't feel the emotion behind it, you're absurd. :P

OK; studying for one more final and then I get to go home for spring break. Boss!

No comments:

Post a Comment