Friday, April 23, 2010

take back the night

"Out of the doors and into the streets! We won't be raped, we won't be beat!"
"Hey, hey! Ho, ho! This patriarchy has got to go!"
"Women unite! Take back the night!"
"2 - 4 - 6 - 8, no more date rape!"
"We're women! We're here! We're fabulous, don't fuck with us!"
"What do we want?! Safe streets! When do we want them?! NOW!"
"Heeeey mister get your hands off my sister!"

What really broke my heart, though, was the man holding the sign that said, 'Men are victims too - I'm a survivor!' and I severely wanted him to be able to march with us. His strength and courage is beyond admirable, and all I could think in regards to him is, 'There is no justice for you.' But I intend to find justice for him as well. We'll get there.

My favorite chants were definitely "We're women! We're here! We're fabulous, don't fuck with us!" and "Hey, hey! Ho, ho! This patriarchy has got to go!"

Kat showed up with a drum that beat as we marched along. She makes me interested in music therapy, it does sound truly amazing. She explained that every human being has a natural rhythm due to the pounding of their heart, the blood in their veins and pulsing of the neurons in their brains - whether some people can get that rhythm out of them or not is another question. The drum unified us in such a way that I cannot imagine the march without it.

I have a hacking cough. This has been an intense, long, fabulous, amazing week full of events, but now I must get back to my regular life. Not that my regular life doesn't involve constant activism and reading up and getting involved in women's & gender affairs, but for now I think I need a break. Let's make this next week 'take care of yourself' week. It's what I need, anyway.

1 comment: